Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Chance Encounter

It was Saturday night and I had gone to a Gathering with Jeff. It became apparent that I had something different I needed to do. I had an overwhelming sense that I needed to be somewhere else. I jumped in my car and went in search of that something else. I thought about having a coffee at Caribou and seeing who was there. I pulled into the parking lot but it didn't seem right so I didn't go in. I went down a side street and pulled over to the curb to call a friend I hadn't spoken to in quite some time. We had a good discussion which lasted for some time. We finished our conversation and I started up my car.

I had noticed some gals sitting on the back steps of the house near me. As I drove off the one gal waved like she knew me. I wondered if they thought I was "stalking" the neighborhood and swung my car around to let them know I had parked to make a call. They laughed and told me they thought I was their neighbor who lived in a nearby house. I drove back to Caribou - still with coffee on my mind. When I got there, there were only men having coffee. While in line, I remembered a time when a friend did a random act of kindness and bought the next person's coffee. It came to mind I should buy some coffee coolers and take the ladies one, to enjoy while they talked. I drove back to my previous spot with three flavors of coffee coolers. I jumped out and headed across the street, only to realize I was missing one as the two gals had been joined by two guys. I told them my little tale of wanting to give them "a random act of kindness" like my daughter had done. They openly received them and told me I had the perfect amount as one gal did not like coffee. As I went to leave they invited me to stay and have a beer, which I declined because I am not "a fan" of beer. I turned to leave, but by the gal who waved at me in the beginning asked quickly, "Do you like wine." I felt this was an "open door". I had time to spend with them, so I accepted the invitation. 

It turned out to be a wonderful evening - lots of talking, laughing and sharing stories. Here with four strangers - we enjoyed an evening of open conversation. When Jeff finally sent me a text to come pick him up, and I got up to go, these four new friends made me promise to come back and see them another day this summer.

I left pondering the Lord's leading, being very glad I followed. There are four new friends in my life and I look forward to seeing them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment